The Scheme is the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS). The
LGPS is a national pension scheme administered locally by about 100
local authorities on behalf of hundreds of local councils and
associated bodies across the UK.
If you are able to join it is a valuable part of your pay and
Some of the reasons you might want to join the Scheme:
- The Scheme provides you with a guaranteed future income. Unlike
some schemes your pension is not affected by share prices and stock
- Once you take your pension it will go up in line with
inflation, protecting you from rising prices.
A low cost to you
- Your employer pays significant amounts of money into the
- You can get tax relief on your contributions - including extra
amounts you pay to top up your benefits.
- You can take a lump sum when you retire, which in most cases
will be tax free.
- There are no hidden fees or charges - you simply pay a
percentage of your pay.
Benefits for you and your loved ones
- Protection for you in case you have to take your benefits early
through ill health.
- Pensions for surviving dependents if you die.
- Life cover of three years pay - from the moment you join.
If you are not already a member and you want to join you
should speak to your employer.